... seeking simple answers to complex problems, and in the process, disrupting the status quo in technology, art and neuroscience.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Give Me a Sign!

(First posted to Sudden Art 10-21-06)



In the movie, "Blast From the Past", Archbishop Melker (Joey Slotnick) is praying with his flock and crying out, "Give me a sign!", in an attempt to verify that Christ had truly arisen from his basement.

Just then Adam (Brendon Fraser - aka "the Son") opens the door to verify he's found the way back to his bomb shelter. Seeing the group in prayer, he quickly offers an embarrassed smile and a little wave before he leaves. It's one of those all time magic moments in movie comedy when someone begs for a sign in their life - and gets it!

As most of you know, I've become more and more involved with Burning Man art projects over the last few years. That's why I've been looking for a new home. I need a garage and space to stage Burning Man art as it's developed.

A few weeks ago I found this home on the market and was immediately attracted. I took these pictures to share with some of my friends, but it wasn't until my son walked through and pointed out "the sign" that I knew it was the right place.

The "sign" is in one of the photos below and is a remarkable likeness of the "man" considering it was constructed 13 years BEFORE the first Burn on the beach in San Francisco. The human mind looks for patterns in the fog. It MUST be a sign. See if you can spot it.





The property has excellent access, but a quasi-industrial horse farm setting. It's on the low-rent edge, of the up-scale side of Reno. The front presents a very modest exposure to a gravel street.



At a half acre, it has plenty of room to work on things. When the horse moves out, I'll have room for the art.





Even though simple on the outside, the inside looks like a transplant from Tahoe with it's expansive greatroom. Other parts are cobbled and cramped, more like something from Santa Cruz. I like the mixed message.



It has three bedrooms plus a studio with loft bedroom for a total of four.



Much of the interior is knotty pine with a LOT of VERY detailed and non-standard finish.



Someone liked to express themselves with a table saw and sandpaper. Most of the woodwork is still in excellent in condition. With the rock, concrete block and fire brick added in, it's almost as if they built the house out of what was at hand at the time. I suspect I like the effect more than most, but it's so much fun to see all of these materials brought together in such a willy-nilly fashion.



The Great-room is held up with what appears to be ex-railroad bridgework and stone. Some of the original mounting points are still visible. I don't know how old it was when it was put in place, but after 40 years the beams still sight true with very little cracking. There's only one point where it's been reinforced with steel.



The fireplace and BBQ speak for themselves. OK. I'll give you a hint. I suspect someone was reading Tolkien at the time.



The exterior could use some work, but the charm factor inside overwhelms everthing else.



Let me know what YOU think.

No comments:

Post a Comment